Wednesday, May 30, 2012

And the rest of the story... Peter Atkins Clinic Follow Up (With Video!)

Moose and I had a great time in Kentucky training with Peter Atkins. The MooseMan was FABULOUS....I was...ME.

Starting with awesome trailer hitching skills...

Damn.

 I ALWAYS lock up...

If you ever lock your keys in your truck in rural Lexington, simply call 253-OPEN.

Note to self -when you do not have 4WD do not park truck and trailer on grass during torrential rains...



 I always do keep a sense of humor -it's that or cry (constantly).

“If this is the worst thing that happens this weekend, I am doing great!” X4 or was it X5?

And yes, the my mental riding game is on par with my vehicular logistics skills.
(I cannot. ride.my.way.out.of.a.paper.bag.so.I.have.cute.pony.to.distract.you.)

This clinic was sponsored by the HJU Ammie Educational Grant presented by ECOGOLD ( you can read my clinic recap for HJU here.)
 
Now for video!

If you are bored have too much free time need to be amused -oh, whatever- all the raw footage of my flat lesson is on  http://www.youtube.com/user/MyMooseontheloose (Raw file 1, 2,3 and 4). Bonus points if you actually make it through and can identify what clip includes Peter's quip, “this video should be on America’s Funniest Home Videos!”

The lesson begins with Peter explaining to keep it simple. Make it simple for the horse to do what you want (i.e. to give the “right” answer).



This applies as he teaches Moose and I the beginnings of lateral work –only ask for the movement when Moose can respond.


Applying the above lessons:


We then moved to working on pushing the nose forward at the trot (in the video above we also work on this at the walk).


Moose’s nemesis has always been the canter. Peter has us work on counter-canter to improve his balance.

Peter explaining counter-canter:


FINALLY getting it!



I don't have video of jumping but I did come away with my favorite picture ever.

Gratuitous Photo Posting. (I am sure you will see it again.)
In the end we had fun, we learned (about riding as well as trailer safety checks, door locks and the need for 4WD). It was also a mini-blogger convention and I enjoyed spending time with Amy and Steady (from 'Slow and Steady Wins the Race'), Karen (from 'CONTACT'). and Kelly (from 'Dressage Pony.'

Great weekend. Thanks to friends (old and new) and family that helped out. And of course super thanks to HJU/ ECOGOLD!

 

2 comments:

  1. So fun watching you guys at the clinic! Hope to see you at more clinics and shows this year. I would friggin' frame that jumping photo. Spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Already framed.
      I think I might be obsessed with my horse.

      Delete